Some Christian religious leaders claim that since the martial arts are based upon the occult and demonic practices of Buddhism and Zen, then Christians are sinning if they train in any martial art, or any other Far Eastern based program, such as yoga or acupuncture. They say that, even if the art does not practice any religion or claim any religious connection, the activities they perform are not based upon scripture and thus are blasphemous. Some reasons they give for their beliefs:
Board Breaking is wrong
“He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street. A bruised reed shall he not break” (Isa. 42:2-3).
kiyup/kiai is demonic
The yell employed by the practitioner before striking his victim is intended to instill fear. That is not only carnal, it is diabolical, “for God hath not given us the spirit of fear…” (2 Tim.1:7). If fear is a “spirit,” and if it’s not from God, then it can only be demonic.
Self-defense is not Bible based
- It violates the Golden Rule (Matt.7:12.)
- It contradicts the direct commands of Jesus:
- love your enemies (Matt.5:44)
- turn the other cheek (Matt.5:39)
- resist not evil (Matt.5:39)
- bless them that curse you (Matt.5:44)
- do good to them that hate you (Matt.5:44)
Check out TKDTutor.com for information about the martial arts.